A cover letter is the first impression your potential employer forms of you. It is essential to show your potential employer that you have done your research on the company. Follow these steps to write a quality cover letter which will set you apart from the crowd.
1) Begin your cover letter by with your name, address and date at the upper left hand corner. In the next line, indicate the name of the reader or hirer, the company’s name and its address. Format the cover letter the way you would with any other letter. Be sure to include a greeting and a closing.
2) In your first paragraph, state the job position you are applying for. Include your education and relevant work experience. Show the reader that you have the relevant skills that qualify you for the job.
3) The body of the letter can be used to expand on specific skills you have mentioned in the introductory paragraph. Elaborate on how these skills you process can add value to the company. You may use two paragraphs for the body.
4) Close your letter by reiterating your passion and desire to be hired by the company. Ask for a possible interview and include your contact information. Refer the reader to your resume for more details about your education and work experience.
5) It is always essential to proofread your cover letter. You do not want a careless mistake to get in the way of your chances of landing your ideal job. Look out for grammar or spelling mistakes and make sure your spelling follows the British standard of English in Singapore. If possible, have a friend to vet through your letter before you send it.
With the above tips, you are now able to write a cover letter that helps you to stand out from the pack. Knowing about the company you are writing to is the first step to winning the battle.
Discover more on how to write a good resume at our Resume Builder.
For more information, check our www.stjobs.sg
At STJobs, your ideal job isn’t hard to find.