Employers receive thousands of resumes and if your resume does not follow the correct format, it is less likely to be read. The first step to getting your resume noticed is to follow the correct format.
1) Start your resume with relevant contact details such as address, phone number and email. Ensure that the email you provided is a professional work email address with your real name and not an account with an user id such as “cutiepie82” which you created when you were younger. Keep your objective punchy and short to no more than two sentences.
2) Select the format for your resume. If you have a list of working experiences, use a chronological format. Start with your most recent employer and state the job responsibilities you are in charge of. If you are a graduate with little experience, adapt a functional resume format that focus on your skills and qualifications. Do include your work experiences when you were working as an intern or a temporary staff.
3) As you list down your job experiences in a chronological format, provide the reader with details of your previous job experiences. Be sure to include the name of the company, employment period, scope of work and any significant accomplishment.
4) Take a look at the job description of the position you are applying for and match your skills against them. List down the skills that demonstrate why you are the best candidate for the job. For example, if you are applying to be a graphic designer and have extensive know-how of the latest Photoshop and illustrator software, write it down.
5) Do you have certificates related to the job you are applying for? Include those in and mention the date you received it. Example of such certification could be Microsoft Certified System Engineer certification.
6) Lastly, include your education. If you are currently pursuing your education, mention the name of your school and expected date of graduation. For degree holder, include your field of major. You may state the leadership position you had in Co-Curricular Activities (CCA) or other school activities you were involved in.
Help your resume stand out against the rest by ensuring that it follows the correct format. Have a friend proofread your resume. You wouldn’t want a careless mistake to get in the way of landing that job.
Discover more on how to write a good resume at our Resume Builder.
For more information, check our www.stjobs.sg
At STJobs, your ideal job isn’t hard to find.