As a receptionist, you are the image bearer of the company and the first person anyone who walks into the company would see. You are also required handle a wide range of tasks, from answering phone calls to clerical work and assisting your co-workers needs.
Here are some tips on how you can pass an interview to be a receptionist.
1) Get familiarised with the company. Find out what the company’s corporate culture is and dress appropriately. If you are unsure of what to wear, just go with a formal dark-coloured suit and avoid flashy accessories. It is better to overdress than underdress.
2) Ensure that you have done sufficient homework prior to the interview date. Be prepared to answer questions such as “Have you used any of our products or services?” or “What do you know about our company?”
3) Smile and greet any employees you may see before, during and after the interview. At the waiting area, do not apply makeup or comb your hair; that should be done before you step into the office. You may want to take time to read through your resume again to familiarise yourself with the information there.
4) Make eye contact with your interviewer but do not stare. Smile, shake hands with the interviewer and be aware of your posture, facial expression and gestures. As a receptionist, you are required to make a good impression and it starts right from when you enter the building of the company.
5) Do not be in a hurry to answer the interviewer’s question. Pause for a couple of seconds before answering and do not hesitate to ask for clarification if you do not understand the question. Include examples of your past experiences in your answers.
6) Send a thank-you note the day after the interview. A hand-written note would come across as most sincere, however it is acceptable to send an email as well.
Receptionists hold an important role in the company. Prepare for your interview with our tips and you are on your way to getting your ideal job!
For more useful tips, continue to visit STJob.sg.