It is important to tailor your cover letter to the specific administrative job you are applying for. Read on to find out how to write an impressive cover letter for an administrative assistant job.
1) Adopt a standard letter format and ensure that the date, company name and address are at the top left hand corner of the letter.
2) Phone the company and find out if you can get the name and designation of the person who will be reading your cover letter. Address it to the person reviewing your resume.
3) Start your opening paragraph by introducing yourself and stating the administrative position you are interested in applying for. Include where you saw the advertisement and the date of publication.
4) In the second paragraph, give a description of your administrative skills such as proficiency in Microsoft Office etc. Read the job description and requirements of the job and mention skills and experience you have that are applicable to those.
5) Sell yourself in the third paragraph and state the reason why you are a good fit for the job. Make use of terms such as “team player”, “reliable” and “flexible” to describe yourself. It would be good to include action words and state accomplishments in your previous jobs.
6) In the last paragraph, request for an interview and state the dates you would be available. Mention when you will be calling to follow up and conclude with the line, “Thank you for your consideration”.
7) End the letter with your full name and sign above it.
Use a standard format for your cover letter but ensure you personalise your cover letter to suit the requirements of the job position you are applying for. This will help the employer see your potential in the role he is hiring for.