The digital arm of English, Malay, Tamil Media Group within SPH group specialises in making the news stories exciting with stunning interactive features.
The digital graphics team is looking for a creative and driven Digital Graphics Journalist to join us. If you are passionate about journalism, data and design and take initiative to devise original and imaginative ways to tell visual stories, this could be the right fit for you!
As a Digital Graphics Journalist, you would be expected to work closely with journalists, developers, designers, and editors on a daily basis.
- Write, design and help the team's developers build visual stories for the newsroom, including data visualisations and a wide variety of visual formats for storytelling.
- Carry out investigative journalism/research with journalists using data, including finding/verifying data sources.
- Use various statistics and data science tools for data parsing, scraping and wrangling. Access APIs or external data sources where necessary.
- Manage workflow and process for data-driven and visual stories in the newsroom
- Use analytics to evaluate stories and propose changes to workflow, concepts
- Demonstrate editorial judgement, creativity and flair
- A team player, willing to share and support other team members
- Pay attention to details, and apply strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Able to work on a flexible schedule, that may include nights or weekends.
- Comfortable in either two or more of the following: journalism and/or reporting; data visualisation and/or infographics design; front-end web development; or data analysis programming
- Experience designing interactive graphics and data visualisations with libraries such as, d3,js or Mapbox is preferred
- Experience with one or more common databases, SQL, scripting languages (R, Python, Perl) is strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, graphic design, data science, statistics or computer science strongly preferred.
- Familiar with the latest digital storytelling, data journalism and visual trends.
- Experience in journalism and reporting (including internship) is an advantage
If you are interested, please apply with your detailed CV and portfolio to us. Please include working links to your latest and featured projects.