The digital arm of English, Malay, Tamil Media Group within SPH group specialises in making the news stories exciting with the stunning interactive features. The team is looking for a “digital news designer” to craft story experiences for a wide range of projects, including news and enterprise, across multiple platforms.
If you are passionate about journalism, data and design and take initiative to devise original and imaginative ways to tell visual stories, you may be the one we are looking for.
The “digital news designer” would be expected to work closely with journalists, developers, designers, and editors on a daily basis.
Strong design skills are a must-have, along with a good grasp of storytelling techniques and some UX concepts. The ideal candidate must have experience with web development technologies.
- Come up with data visualisation design through interactive infographics
- Carry out investigative journalism/research with journalists using data, visuals and finding/verifying data sources
- Demonstrate editorial judgement, creativity and flair
- Work with front-end web developers to produce interesting and innovative visual stories
- Use analytics to evaluate stories and propose changes to workflow, concepts
- Product design: Create intuitive, accessible user journeys from concept to final realisation.
- 2+ years of design experience.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking skills and visual and interactive design skills — a clear grasp of typography, layout, color, motion and behavior.
- Familiar with the latest digital storytelling trends
- Design and communicate interactive story ideas via prototypes or wireframes
- Able to envision the final project outcome and direct others towards this visual goal, that intelligently combines visuals, text and on occasion, interactivity.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Precise and have an eye for details
- Adapt to changing deadlines and on occasion, unpredictable news cycles
- Able to work on a flexible schedule that may include nights or weekends
- Experience in journalism and/or 3D skills are an advantage
If you have the relevant experience and skills sets, please apply with your updated CV and portfolio to us .
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be notified.